Sunday, October 26, 2008

Garage Sale Mistakes!


About FIVE LONG YEARS AGO I stupidly sold this china in a garage sale. I was on a mission to declutter. Well the minute I helped sit this beautiful set in the backseat of the car of the lady who bought it, I had that uh, oh feeling. But hey, it was a done deal. The next day I got on the computer and tried to find it online. I'd pay anything to get it back, but I didn't know the name of the pattern! I googled and googled every search word I could think of to find it. I went to ebay, craigslist, and many replacement china websites. I looked at tons of pics, but never found my pattern. It was painful. I tried about every 3 months or so.

My china was not to be found!

Who knew I was so attached!

About a month ago I was on ebay and searched again. Imagine the feeling of seeing the china you haven't been able to find for 5 years! I had been spelling poinsettia wrong for years! So little by little I've bought my service for 8 back. Even though it cost me way more than I sold it for in the garage sale, I have it back in my pantry where it is loved and belongs. Whew. Now if only I could get back that brass bird cage and some fine linens I thought I had no use for. I'm done with sales. LOL!

Have you ever sold something in a garage sale and wished you hadn't?

XOXO,
Penny

10 comments:

Buffie said...

YES! I sold a rug that I could use now! I didn't want to store it and now I'm sorry for it~ Glad you got your dishes back finally though!

Buffie

Bo said...

Hi Penny...oh yeah, I share your pain...I once sold a large framed print for practically nothing & the woman was gushing all over the placeto others that it was a signed "Fox" print...I felt sick to my stomach when I looked it up in an antiques book & it was valued at $60. and that was over 30 years ago...
;-) Bo

Bridget said...

I wish that I hadn't had to move so many times over the years and I could have stored all the tons of home decor things that I have given away over the years. Oh well. I like to travel light!
I'm glad you got your dishes back but sorry they cost you more.

Raxx - A day in the life said...

Garage sales are not big here, people more or less hold on to what they have or give it to family.

Glad you got your plates back and just in time for the season!

squawmama said...

I have never sold anything in a garage sale... I am too much of a pack rat... and what I do get rid of I give to the kids so I can visit it...Love your dishes and so glad you fond them again...

(((HUGS)))
Donna

nikkicrumpet said...

So glad you got your beloved dishes back. I haven't ever sold anything I regretted...but I saw a picture once on RMS above somebody's mantle...I begged everyone to help me find one like it. I searched the computer for weeks...and no luck. About 6 months later I was at an auction...and what came up for sale...MY PAINTING! I about peed myself I was so excited!

Justine said...

That is SO cool that you found them online and were able to replace them!!!!!!!! Are they expensive, or did you just need them back for sentimental reasons?

Justine :o )

Tardevil said...

Absolutely...my mom's old camera & jadeite dishes...I could still puke if I think about it. I could use a King Kong swift kick to my booty for that! (I'm sure there's lots of takers on that offer!)

Kathy said...

I am glad you got your set back Penny, it looks really lovely. I have not had garage sales but I have given things away that I have missed (you are right it is funny how attached you can get). have a lovely week, big hugs, Kathy.

Lynette said...

Hi Penny - Glad you came over to visit and are going to try the recipes - that was a great idea Rose had. I left her a note to see if she'd "consider" doing it monthly or so - there is no way I'd be able to do it weekly - I don't cook enough for that - but maybe I could contribute monthly - LOL!! Hope you enjoy the recipes. Glad you found your dishes - gotta' hate when you let something like that get away from you!!
Come back to visit soon -
Lynette