Friday, July 25, 2008

Seafood Friday and BOB the cool cow

Did you think I forgot about Seafood Friday? No way!

But first you must meet Bob! Bob is a little shy.


Bob just wants you to know that grilled fish and vegetables tastes REALLY good. Bob really loves grilled vegetables - especially summer squash. You can meet him and other cute cows over at http://www.lavenderchick.blogspot.com/. I understand he's going through a little bit of the terrible two's and may even think he's a dog. How cute is that!

Grilled Fish Sammies with Garlic Tartar Sauce and Baked Waffle Fries with Spicy Bloody Ketchup and a Slaw Salad


Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray, 2007

1 pound store-bought waffle fries
4 (6-ounce) fillets white fish, such as halibut, skinless
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 crusty rolls, split 3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 clove garlic, grated
3 tablespoons capers
1/4 cup pitted chopped green olives
Handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, eyeball it
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 or 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, your preference
1 lemon Celery salt, to season fries
1/2 red onion, very thinly sliced
8 green or red leaf lettuce leaves

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and bake fries 20 minutes, or according to package directions, turning once. Heat skillet or grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Season the fish with salt and pepper and coat with about 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Toast rolls on grill or heat broiler and set them in the middle of the oven to brown, then reserve. Combine mayonnaise with grated garlic, capers, olives, parsley. Combine ketchup with Worcestershire, hot sauce, horseradish and lots of black pepper. Cook fish 3 to 4 minutes on each side until firm, opaque and cooked through. Squeeze lemon over cooked fish.
Remove fries from oven and season with celery salt and pepper.
Place fish on rolls with lettuce, red onion and tartar sauce. Serve fries alongside with bloody ketchup.

Slaw Salad:
1 bulb fennel with tops, thinly sliced plus 1/4 cup fennel tops
1/2 head red cabbage, shredded 1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons grill seasoning (recommended: McCormick's)
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a large bowl, combine the fennel, fennel tops and red cabbage. In a separate small bowl, combine the honey, cider vinegar, grill seasoning, poppy seeds, and sesame seeds. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss together.

Yield: 4 servings

Thanks for stopping by and have a fun weekend!

XOXO,
Penny

11 comments:

Bridget said...

Hey Penny, I came to wish you a wonderful fun filled weekend. Bob is adorable and the recipe sounds great.
Hugs, Bridget

Kathy said...

Penny, Bob is so cute, The fish sarnie looks delicious. Giovanni refuses to go shopping again!!!!. so we are going to take the boat out. Hope you have a wonderful weekend hugs Kathy.

Justine said...

Aw, I just want to pet and cuddle Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!! What's cuter than a cow's face?
Okay, I see that you did respond to my question of how the wasabi scallop recipe was last week, so now I've gotta put that recipe on file and shop for the ingredients. Not something the kids will eat, but they can just stuff it! LOL

Justine :o )

Buffie said...

I feel a certain kinship with Bob now...guess it's the bovine bone in my jaw! ROFL! The recipe sounds yummy, I'm going to try it one of these Fridays!

SG said...

OMG How cute is Bob!!!

Mmmmmmm. I love fish but never really eat fish sandwiches. This one sounds yummy! Or should I say yummo?

artis1111 said...

I love fish ,Kathy

Raxx - A day in the life said...

Hi Penny!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm fish! I'm seriously droolong! Seafoood Fridays are a great idea, think I'll get into it, will post recepies only if i cook the dish!

Raquel

Lavender Chick said...

Hi! Thanks for the Bob debut! He would be so proud! I really appreciate you stopping by, and am looking forward to checking in on you from now on...

Thanks for the recipe; looks like a good one and I'm going to give it a try. Looking forward to your other recipes, too.

mrsben said...

HI Penny, hope you are having a good weekend. (You are a few hours behind us I think.) Was just over at Bridget's harassing her, Kathy is not home but I guess she is still floating around in the boat with Giovanni so thought I'd come over to visit you. (Aren't you lucky....ha! ha!)

I see you have a new man in your life :) Bob is a cutie!!

This looks scrumptous. Though miles 'n miles away from the sea, I do love seafood! Have a son-in-law who loves it to, so shall give him a copy of the recipe. (Thank You!)

Changing the subject, I see you are a BIG fan of Angelo. I'm waiting anxiously to see the entire Web version of his last makeover (as we don't get the program here). From what I seen of The Reveal, the kitchen was superb. He must have a very rigorous schedule and regardless that he has a full team to work with, his timetable has to be very demanding both physically and mentally. There are so many negative critics out there, I don't envy him, but I guess that is one of the prices you pay for celebrity status.

Well guess I have harassed YOU enough :) so shall sign off. Wishing you a week full of sunshine. -Brenda-

Anonymous said...

That Fish looks delicious!!! (Yummy!) Bob is cuter than cute! I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Donna

Penny said...

Hey everybody! Thanks for dropping in. We had the fish Saturday nite and it was pretty good. I haven't tried the slaw yet.

Hugs,
Penny