There are SO many great female musicians it's hard to select just four for this post. These aren't in any particular order, and I certainly love others just as much. I'll have to add more in the future. In the meantime, if you'd like to hear a song from them, I've added a song by each of them at the top of my music playlist. Sorry you have to scroll so far down to get to it.
You just never know where you're going to find music that inspires you. I picked up a Beth Orton CD at a yard sale in the north Georgia countryside and I have to say it was the best 50 cents I've ever spent. If you've got the music turned on you should be listening to her right now. She's got a unique, moody voice and I love listening to her on long road trips. She lives in England and doesn't get to the states much. I've got her on my ticketmaster alerts just in case!
What a voice! Could Janis Joplin belt out a song with some soul or what?! I think Tina Turner and her would have made good friends. :-) Janis Lyn Joplin was born January 19, 1943 and died October 4, 1970.
I first became aware of Aimee Mann while watching the movie Magnolia. I loved the song in it titled, "Save Me". I was so moved. The next day I was on a hunt to find out who did that song and I've been a fan ever since! I've seen her in concert twice, and I have tickets to an upcoming show. Due to not that people being familiar with her music, she always plays in small venues which makes her shows all the better.
Back when MTV actually played music videos I remember the day this cute chick Sheryl Crow came on the scene. It was instant admiration and I admire her to this day. She's got the one of the best guitar players in the whole world playing with her too. Peter Stroud. He lives right here in Atlanta and is married to Lynn, a friend of mine that you met on my blog about the Tom Petty concert. 


22 comments:
Hey Penny! You are welcomed at my blog anytime and then some! :) I got most of the pics from Horchow! (My favorite browse spot as well!!!! :) I am sitll trying to figure out my taste? I think I am going to go with what Justine said, "Transitional".
Thanks for stopping by!
xoxoxo,
Donna
Hey there again!!!! I like Scheryl Crow and Jansi Joplin alot!!! :) the other two I have never heard of! :)
Donna
Thanks so much for the welcome Donna, I'll be sure and visit all your posts. That's neat that you got some of the pics from Horchow. I think transitional is a great way to describe it. Lots of glam and French influences. Our living room couch was sold at Horchow, except I was able to find it in a local store for much less. Thank goodness!
I put Beth Orton and Aimee Mann in here because I knew most people wouldn't know who they are. Spreading the love! LOL
xoxoxo,
Penny
I saw Janis Joplin once. Great on the grass outside. Kathy
Hi Penny, Loved your post today and your music, all four are great choices, can I add Annie Lennox, Debbie Harry, Sinead O'Connor, Cher, all rock chicks and so many more. I think I will have a Rock Chic day today, lucky you cannot see me with the tennis racket as my guitar...... haha, thanks for the wonderful idea. hugs Kathy
Go here: http://blogthings.com/whosyourinnerrockchickquiz/
Find out who's your inner rock chick?, you can then add it to your blog, I'm Sheryl Crow hehe.
That's so cool Kathy! Sometimes I dream I'm at a concert watching her. Now you've got me wondering if there is a video of her at a concert. Okay, off to youtube!
Know of Janis and Sheryl but like Donna, really don't know the other two. (Will have to check them out.) Annie Lennox is one of my favourite Vocalist/Composer as is Cher and of course Tina. (See Kathy likes Annie also, but I don't believe she has ever done a North American Concert. Would love to see her perform!) Hope you have a blast at Aimee's concert! Nothing like being there live.
Janis ROCKED! I do a pretty good impersonation of Janis doing "Bobby Magee"...when I get my video cam I'll do a clip for you! LOL!
I came soooo close to adding Annie Lennox and Deborah Harry! Annie is mega mega talented. Debbie Harry toured here last summer and I missed it. I read somewhere that the reason she dissapeared from the music industry was to take care of her very ill husband. All the others mentioned are great too!
I would LOVE to see you doing a Janis song Buffie. That would be awesome. Hope you get that video cam soon. You really do need one!!! SMILES!
Do you all know of Susie Quatro, I thought I WAS her when I was younger can the can........
Check her out.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SXWgC0SLCA
Hi Penny! Thanks for stopping by my place! Yours "rocks" - and literally too! Best, MK
Hey great choices at least the 2 I know! Love Janis~~~Cry cry baby!! Sheryl Crow is good too! There are so many aren't there! I did the quiz and ended up as Gwen Stefani~~~Hey I'll take that!:) French
Hey Penny, What a great post. There is a great club in LA called The Hotel Cafe that showcases great artists like Amiee Mann and Cary Brothers. Some become well know but most don't...it's a shame. There are so many talented young musicians that never get that big break they deserve. If you are ever in LA, I highly recommend checking it out, it is a very small place but GREAT artists!
Kathy - I'd LOVE to see a pic of you rocking out on your tennis racket makeshift guitar! I finally had a chance to go to the youtube of the Susie girl. OMG, she was wild for the times! hahaha
Mary Kay! Hey! Thanks for stopping in. I'm glad you did because I had your blog address wrong on my sidebar where I keep the blogs I visit. It's fixed now! I love your blog. I remember asking you on RMS about your kitchen lighting and you were so sweet to help me with everything. I still have it all printed out. ((((hug)))))
Bridget, you know of Aimee Mann? Wow! Isn't she a great storyteller with that wonderful voice of hers? I'll have to check out Cary Brothers. Thank you!
I wish I had of turned out as Sheryl Crow on the rocker girl test. I have to admit I didn't know the answer to the question about fave music because I didn't know a 5th of those musicians.
Have a fun day!
Penny, Thank you for the comment on the white on black type. It is a little trickier than the reverse. I've tried to make mine easier to read by adjusting the fonts a bit. I hope I've found a good compromise between my design and user friendliness. I'm sure it won't be long before I'm feeling the need to change it up a bit anyway. It's just like moving the furniture around. I know I've had difficulties reading blogs with other color combos, it's just the curse of getting older and not having those readers handy!
Good morning Penny, very observant of you haha, my beautiful husband has booked a w/end in San Diego for my b/day (I have never been) we are going to see The Phantom of the Opera AGAIN!!, saw that twice in London. then just have a look around, I do not think just a weekend will do it justice but I am sure we will try to pack in as much as possible.
My bday is on Saturday 9th (oh dear then I will become the wrong side of 50)(lot's of Margaritas will help me forget, I hope) haha. I intend to take you all along with us, so get out your weekend bags and sunscrean, coz you are gonna needs them!!!. Have a wonderful day, big hugs, Kathy.
The only one out of this group I could say I really like is Sheryl Crow (is she wearing a bra in that picture?) but I just don't listen to music like some people. I just flick on the hip-hop station when I'm driving and that's about it for music. Now Jimmy on the other hand is a music fiend!
Justine :o )
Penny, I think that little birdie is so cute at the top of your blog. Kathy
Good Morning Miss Penny, The little birdie in your header is adorable. I saw a lot of trouble with the blog features yesterday. I was on Justine's blog and she didn't have an alert list either. I thought she had gone and removed it. I now need to catch up on blogs that probably made updates and I didn't know it!
Have a good day, Bridget
Oh I like the way you've changed your alerts to just our first names! Cute and personal.
I had trouble with blogging yesterday also Penny, It seems okay today.
I had a giggle over at Bridget's re Jonathans pant's. I thought your comment was priceless zipper v laces haha.
You might like this if you are also a Cassidy fan.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lwLbx1_ZmA. Kathy.
Post a Comment