Saturday, August 23, 2008

Something Pink, Veggies, and My Cast Iron Skillet

I've noticed an event called Pink Saturday that has been started by someone out here in blogland and thought I'd show off my pretty pink rose bowl. I'll track down the clever lady who started Pink Saturday and post her blog here next Saturday. Here is a picture of it with some fresh cut okra that I bought off a road side stand. The bowl belonged to my mother-in-law and I just love it. Ta dah.....

I rarely fry anything, but since I couldn't resist the okra I thought I'd fry them up in one of my fave cast iron skillets that my granny seasoned for me years and years ago. Behind the skillet I'm cooking some farm fresh early peas from the same road side veggie stand. Everything was yummy!
I tried to scan a picture of my granny to the computer, but I'm having a bit of a challenge with this. I'll keep trying!
Have a great weekend!
Hugs,
Penny

11 comments:

imjacobsmom said...

Since I am a yankee, I've never had fried okra. Do you bread it? What does it taste like? But it sure looks pretty in that beautiful bowl. ~ Robyn

Bridget said...

Penny, that's a very pretty bowl. Did you enjoy the fried okra.
Re: Robyn's question, I personally think fried okra tastes very similar to fried zucchini.
That pan of okra makes me feel a little nostalgic for the south. I could go for some okra and some hushpuppies. Yum. God Bless the South and their fine cuisine.

Raxx - A day in the life said...

Penny I loooove fried okra or ochro as we call it! We have an old wives' tale that one should eat a lot of okras near your pregnancy due date and the baby would just slip right out!

Pretty plate, hope you enjoyed your pink Saturday, I have yet to participate.

artis1111 said...

Like the bowel and cast iron skillet but not the okra. Her name is beverly and her blog is How Sweet The Sound. Or just click on the little pink doll displayed on the blogs of the ones the do a Pink Saturday. Kathy

Anonymous said...

Penny. I love the pink bowl! I can't wait to see the picture of your grandma. That fried Okra looks fit'in. (lol) (Yummy)

Ooohhhh I can't wait to post on Monday! (Im sure you know why... ) I am trying to get my laptop fixed. Hopefully my Tech Guy will pick it up this evening! I'm so excited about my post! (big giant smile)

I went to my bbb for the lamps... they don't have them in stock. (pout pout) I'm gonna have to order them online.

Talk to you soon!

Big Hugs and Many Thanks,
Donna

nikkicrumpet said...

Hey Penny: I've never tried okra...but it does look pretty tasty! Have a great night

Penny said...

Hey ya'll from down here in Georgia. haha Yep, it tastes bout' like any udder' southern fried veggie. LOL I put it in the bowl then covered with a beaten egg mixed with milk. Let that stay in the fridge for about 20 minutes, then I rolled them in half corn meal/half ww flour and some creole spices. I did it with curry one time and it was out of this world good, but I'd forgot about that until after I'd made these. Clay said he wouldn't eat any and then ate half the bowl! If you haven't tried it, come on by and I'll make you some!

Kathy, thanks for the pink sat info. I love the idea of pink Saturday and I can't wait to post a few more pink things in coming Sat's.

Okra lovers unite! Oh yea, and us hushpuppie lovers too!

Hugs,
Penny

Justine said...

Ewwwwwwww Okra. Slimy little boogers is what they are! I know, everyone says, "But not when they're cooked right!" Well, I've never had them cooked right then. Blech!

Love your skillet, love your stove and love your pretty bowl! You can keep the veggies! LOL

Justine :o )

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Yum...I coming over for dinner. That looks like a good southern meal to this girl! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I thought I already had you on my blog roll but I guess I missed adding you...you are on there now! :-) So you are one of the lucky ones who actually owns a wonderfully seasoned cast iron skillet. You know, I once heard there was a rooster club on RMS for all the folks on RMS who had roosters in their kitchens. I think there could be a Seasoned cast iron skillet club in blogland...only I couldn't be a member, yet. I need to start scouring the antique shops for one.
Susan

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Oh Penny!
I'll be right over. We love fried okra (obviously) But it is such a mess. Since you've gone to the trouble...
I am glad you said hello~ now I know where to find you.
Sandi

Kathy said...

Hey Penny, I am catching up (I should be doing chores haha) blog-land is much more fun haha, your okra looks delicious, I havenever had it, better put that right!!. I love your pink bowl I have seen some of these pink Saturday posts, they are fun, hope you have a wonderful week, hugs, Kathy xoxoxo